NEWS RELEASE | United Way to Kick-off Annual Day of Caring August 21
NEWS RELEASE For Release: August 19, 2019 Contacts: Ashley Pino, United Way, 260.469.4001 or email@example.com
United Way of Allen County to Kick-off the Annual
Day of Caring August 21
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (August 19, 2019) – United Way of Allen County’s Annual Day of Caring will kick off with breakfast on Wednesday, August 21. Join the event at Headwaters Park East Pavilion at 7:30 a.m. This year at the breakfast, we will be presenting our 2018 Campaign Awards to the following organizations: Franklin Electric, Aqua Indiana and UWUA Local 603, UPS and Teamsters Local 710, Do It Best Corp., and Martin Luther King Montessori School to showcase their efforts that prove they go above and beyond for our community. Day of Caring 2019 will have over 1,600 volunteers that will participate in more than 90 community service projects in the Fort Wayne area.
“Day of Caring is a tangible way can have an impact on the entire community,” said David Nicole, President and CEO of United Way of Allen County. “United Way engages individuals through volunteerism year-round and on this day we all come together to serve the people of Allen County. Volunteers help define what it means to Live United and are critical to United Way’s fight for families that are working hard but struggling to survive”
Day of Caring projects include various tasks such as cleaning, landscaping, painting, supply drives, and general maintenance. Projects take anywhere from four to eight hours to complete and volunteer teams range in size from three to 200 people. The work being done takes place within Allen County at non-profit agencies, schools, or private residences recommended by NeighborLink.
“Day of Caring is an event that has grown into an opportunity for thousands of volunteers to collaborate and make change” said United Way Board Chair, Sue Ehinger. “These volunteers roll up their sleeves to make a better community for Allen County Residents.”
The following are suggested locations for photo opportunities / interviews with volunteers on August 21 at 9:00 a.m.:
• Fort Wayne Metals; Haines, Isenbarger & Skiba LLC; 3Rivers Federal Credit Union; and Woodlan Jr./Sr. High School will be collaborating on various projects to ensure the site is a safe and fun environment for girls to learn and grow at Girl Scouts Camp, 17107 Griffin Rd.
• Lincoln Financial Group will be working to improve the Old Fort to establish the site as a historic education center for Northeast Indiana at 1201 Spy Run Ave.
• Embassy Theatre, Healthier Moms and Babies, and MKM Architecture + Design will be teaming up to paint the building used for Franke Park Day Camp for Parks and Recreation at 3411 Sherman Blvd.
• Indiana Michigan Power will be completing multiple projects to help the camp encourage children and adults with disabilities to move beyond their boundaries through recreation activities, outdoor education, creative arts, and interaction with horses at Camp Red Cedar, 3900 Hursh Rd.
• David Nicole, President and CEO of United Way of Allen County will be available at 8:30 a.m. at the wrap of the Day of Caring breakfast at Headwaters Park East Pavilion for additional interviews.